Monday, February 16, 2009

Wuthering Heights Movie

In all honesty I didn't feel like any part of the movie helped me better understand the book. I know that movies always fall short of books, but I felt that this one fell horrendously short. It spent the first half failing to convey the depth of Heathcliff and Catherine's love for each other. That part felt almost glossed over.
There was also problems with transitions with time passing. The characters looked the same over a 30 year span, and the movie did a poor job of explaining the passage of time. After reading the book I felt I had a good grasp of the story and the intricacies involved between the characters. I was still having trouble with the family tree portion, but the movie only muddled that further. I had to get out my book and look at the family tree halfway through the movie.
I know this assignment is not supposed to be a movie review, but I truly felt that no part of the movie increased my grasp of the material. The transference of medium from book to film flopped.
In particular the scene out on the moors where Heathcliff predicts either a happy life or a tragic one seems to be almost trivial in the movie, yet it is supposed to be a deep, foreboding scene of what is to come. They also make Heathcliff's initial anger toward Edgar seem like childish anger, which it is in part, but it fails to convey the evil, almost sadistic nature of Heathcliff's revenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment