Monday, February 16, 2009

Wuthering Heights: Scholarly Articles and Darkened Romance

Scholarly Articles
There are lots of scholarly articles relating characters to ideological and philosophical ideas, such as Heathcliff and Edgar representing transcendental love and empirical love. However is the scholarly article an effective medium? I do not think they are very people friendly, but are just for, as the name says, scholars. They have their niche purpose, as do any area of academic specialty, but they are not for a large portion of the population.
Would ordinary people sometimes want to get more in-depth into scholarship and academia, through tools such as Wikpedia and Google scholar? I think it is a possibility. I use Wikipedia and Google scholar in my free time, but I am an academic so I am not exactly unbiased at this point. I think it is hard for a classroom full of college students, who obviously value education and information, to make a firm decision on the usefulness of academic resources for the general public.

Movie
In regards to the movie that I wrote about, I am being swayed by the arguments of my classmates. I didn't really see the movie in light of using the same character for both Catherines, and how Heathcliff treats each one. It is almost as if he treats the younger Catherine as an extension of the older. That does add a level of complexity I hadn't seen. I still feel that it only muddled the story though. If I hadn't read the book I would have had no idea what was going on. The scene with Heathcliff and Catherine on Catherine's deathbed is a good example of how closely tied hate and love are. Just like how he treats the younger Catherine in terms of how he felt about the older. It is also important to note the way that Catherine was portrayed by the same actress is medium specific to film. It allows a whole new expression and portrayal that the book could not provide.

Darkened Romance
Why would Emily Bronte want to darken romance? Why does a woman writer want to darken or disrupt the "Hollywood" or "Cinderella" version of things? Maybe to show the true reality of love, that it is not just perfect and easily cut out. Instead maybe the man you love transcendentally is too poor and the guy you love empirically is rich. A complex set of circumstances is more likely in real life than a simple answer.
Would you marry your soulmate or the person you are socially and personality agreeable with? I agree completely with Laura in marrying the latter, though I am literally the only one who thinks so in the class. I think that love is something that is hard to quantify. It's hard to say that I could give up the ease and understanding associated with being socially and personality compatible for some completely unknown notion of "soulmate". Instead why wouldn't I go for teh guaranteed compatibility and works towards loving someone. Can't someone grow to be your soulmate?

Foils
There are several foils in this story. The obvious one is the sons, Hareton and Linton. Linton is sickly and weak, while Hareton is strong and passionate. Catherine is very similar to her mother, and so is obviously more attracted to Hareton, who is similar to a young Heathcliff.

Emily Bronte addresses how violent and brutal the story truly is. It takes no prisoners and is honest in how a relationship can develop. There is also an element she talks about in how the creative process almost takes a life of its own and can change the author's original intention, forming great art.

No comments:

Post a Comment