Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Bloody Chamber Readings

While I realize that these stories are based off of fairy tales, I didn't know which one the Bloody Chamber was related to. I didn't recognize the outline of the story at all, but it seemed to have a decidedly pro-female focus. The mother is the one that saves the girl, and the main male character is not only a bad person, but one that delights in torturing and killing his wives. It was focused on the way that the man had slowly woven a web of deceit and trickery over the girl and made her betray herself.
The courtship of Mr. Lyon was obviously similar to Beauty and the Beast, and it did not immediately seem to be particularly different than the story I had heard before. Since that story already had a heroine who transforms and saves the man with her love, it didn't seem to need much tweaking to portray that message.
The Erl-King was another story that I did not really recognize. The heavy emphasis on the forest imagery really struck me initially, but that was quickly contrasted to the sexual language later used in association with the King.

1 comment:

  1. Mark: I don't recognize some of these either, but "The Bloody Chamber" may be based on the Bluebeard tale -- it's the tale of a man who imprisons and then kills all his wives. Keep up the good work. Laura

    ReplyDelete